VRM Logic to control usage of excess PV energy

Startet av Røilern, april 16, 2020, 06:01:49

Røilern

Jeg har lagt inn dette under forslag til "Modifications på Victron forumet

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/47283/vrm-logic-to-control-usage-of-excess-pv-energy.html

I believe the best way to utilize potential excess energy in a PV installation is to use all available data and set up rules for when (and how much) excess energy is available.

Last years story about AC-THOR involves a separate HW (non Victron) and use the CCGX as data source. In a couple of other threads on this community the solution is also to use additional HW, or the more simple solution only using one data source, i.e SOC = 100% flip a switch.

I do not understand why we need additional HW, and the "one data source, flip a switch" is way to inefficient i.e not being able to harvest energy when the MPPT throttle down in the absorption phase.

I have experimented with utilising the VRM alarm rules, and building the logic into my Gmail email filtering functionality. This is possible to accomplish by controlling the load basically by sending emails to my "Smart Cabin" using the simple and inexpensive functionality that comes with services like IFFT.

So.... for installations that have all the nice and advanced HW from Victron, MPPT, BMV, Multiplus, GX's , and are online to VRM with local inexpensive SmartCabin functionallity like Telldus. ..........

Why... can't we just get the logic built into the VRM portal very much like the alarm rules?

Example:
MPPT in Bulk mode - everything goes to the battery - no excess energy available

MPPT in absorption - apply load phase 1 (jut send me an email if you do not want to link directly to IFFT

MPPT still in absorption and PC power is increasing and battery voltage not dropping? apply load 2,

etc etc etc

Dear Victron experts - this ment as inspiration to make even greater functionality on the VRM portal
Victron Smartsolar Charge MPPT 150/100
9 x 300W  paneler
12x2V 1100Ah Getek AGM
Victron Multi 5000W/120A 24V
220V kjøleskap, fryser, komfyr, mikro, vaffeljern, kaffemaskin og brødrister
Honda E

steinis

Veldig bra! Håper Victron ordner noe enkelt så vi kan utnytte dette. Ser det spesielt i disse dager at batteribanken peaker og solen skinner fortsatt.

Jeg har brent av en del energi ved å skru på varmekolbe i akkumulatortanken, men det får jeg bare gjort manuelt.

Venter i spenning!
Hytta (offgrid):
- 8x305Wp solcellepaneler 4s2p
- Victron Smart Solar MPPT 250/85 Tr
- Victron MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50
- Honda EM 5500 CXS
- 24kWh Lithium fra Nissan Leaf / REC
- Vannbåren v

Røilern

9 x 300W  paneler
12x2V 1100Ah Getek AGM
Honda E

Røilern

Her er mitt svar for de mest interesserte:

Hi Mark

Thank you for you extensive answer

I would have no problem leaving the "logic" to an cloud solution (read VRM) for how much load my system can take to  maximise PV power harvesting. My cabin has bin online continuously for 10 years and I do this harvesting manually.

I do agree that ideally a continuous measurement and variable load is idea to maximise harvesting, but you can almost achieve the same with simple and inexpensive of the shelf Smart House Tech.

Some years ago I did investigate the DC power load option, but found it to complicated and expensive. For some years I used the simple option of turning the Multiplus on and off remotely (this was even before then CC GX arrived) I had a 500W electric heater, and by switching on the Multiplus remotely I harvested 500W of energy that otherwise would have lost.

Today I use a slightly more advance system with several electric heaters remotely controlled by my Smart cabin system Telldus. I have:

- A 750W heater in the kitchen
- A 500W heater in the bath room
- A 400W heater in the guest room
- A 1000W heater in the hall
and
- A 250W heater in a small tech room

I do not think power modulation on the AC side is needed, it's sufficient with multiple loads of different sizes. I do agree that the Multiplus doesn't seem to like power modulations that well.

With these heaters I can create almost any load and maximise power harvesting as soon has the MPPT reach absorption. In some cases I turn them on early in the morning to secure a frost free cabin, and rely on the sun to backfill when "it" wakes up later in the morning.

I agree that there are many parameters and combinations of parameters available to trigger power load decisions.  But my simple experience of manually turning on loads based on a few parameters tells me that this can be done with simple logic in the VRM portal. Potentially also within the Venus software but it's much easrier for one cloud solution (VRM) to talk to another cloud solution (the Smart cabin) than achieving the same directly for a CCGX.  The alarms in VRM can almost do it today, but they are not designed with.

If the MMPT is in absorption state tell me that via an email (can be done with alarms today)

The Smart cabin will turn on a load
Measure what happens to power consumption and harvesting of PV power.

If power harvesting goes up with more or the same as the load we are good - send me an email of applying load 2

The Smart cabin will turn on a load
Measure what happens to power consumption and harvesting of PV power.

If power harvesting goes up again with more or the same as the load we are good - send me an email of applying load 3

and like this it could continue

If the harvesting does not go up, or not enough, then turn of the last load.

If VRM even new the power consumption behind each load it could even decide which  load to turn on or off to match available PV power.

As back up it's would be possible to use the BMV to trigger a "turn off all loads should battery SOC drop below 95%

I truly believe this is possible with some small changes to the alarm rules in VRM slightly more advanced than today, and a Smart Cabin system capable of turning on or off a simple AC switch.

I'll study the Github links Mark, but expect them to be to high end for my idea

9 x 300W  paneler
12x2V 1100Ah Getek AGM
Honda E

carlfrr

Kult! Jeg har akkurat samme situasjon. Har 20x300W paneler nå som leverer mye strøm. Prøver meg på Mill smarte ovner og scheduled on/off. Hadde vært fint med Victron - Mill integrasjon for eksempel